When Motherhood is Hard…
…Read Some Breastfeeding Quotes
I love breastfeeding, but sometimes it can be straight out difficult. That is why having access to easy read breastfeeding quotes can do just the trick and encourage us to continue during those difficult times. The truth is ALL mamas struggle at some point during their breastfeeding journey, we might feel inadequate or that it should be easier. Sometimes we might have friends and family who don’t understand what breastfeeding is all about.
Whatever the reason might be, reading supportive breastfeeding quotes from others who have been in our same shoes can give a sense of comfort. It reminds us that we are not alone in this journey and that past generations of mamas have experienced similar obstacles.
The Lost Art of Breastfeeding
Breastfeeding simply does not fit into the structure of our world like it should. A big issue is the lack of paid parental leave in the United States which leads woman to go back to work prematurely. Having the child in someone else’s care during the day can put a strain on mama and baby’s breastfeeding relationship, consequently increasing the chances that it will end prematurely.
In addition, many misconceptions exists about the value of breastfeeding past infancy, and many mothers receiving little to no support in their breastfeeding journey with pediatricians suggesting weaning as early as 6 months when solids are introduced. Unfortunately many don’t make it past the first few months.
Breastfeeding Support Organizations
Luckily there are several organizations out there to support mothers by connecting them with experienced lactation consultants and support groups. Some of the breastfeeding quotes below are from individuals within these organizations.
- La Leche League International
- “Our Mission is to help mothers worldwide to breastfeed through mother-to-mother support, encouragement, information, and education, and to promote a better understanding of breastfeeding as an important element in the healthy development of the baby and mother.”
- International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners
- “IBLCE establishes the highest standards in lactation and breastfeeding care worldwide and certifies individuals who meet these standards.
- Breastfeeding USA
- The mission of Breastfeeding USA is to provide evidence-based breastfeeding information and support, and to promote breastfeeding as the biological and cultural norm. We accomplish this through a network of accredited breastfeeding counselors and comprehensive resources for the benefit of mothers and babies, families, and communities.
Breastfeeding Quotes for the Struggling Mama
Find a comfortable corner to nurse your baby/ toddler with a big glass of water and enjoy some inspirational wisdom from people just like you.
1. “Breastfeeding is a mother’s gift to herself, her baby, and the earth.”
― Pamela K Wiggins, Breastfeeding: A Mother’s Gift
2. “Bottles fill his stomach, but breastfeeding fills his soul.”
― Diane Wiessinger, IBCLC, Sweet Sleep: Nighttime and Naptime Strategies for the Breastfeeding Family
3. “My birth instructor said this… ‘The breast is like a muscle you haven’t used yet. ‘Remember taking up a new sport?’ she asked… ‘Remember how much the new set of muscles you used surprised you by aching so much?’ Well, she said, that’s what it’s like to use your breasts, for the very first time, for the purpose they have been awaiting all your life.”
― Julia Glass, Unbuttoned
4. “Breastfeeding is empowering. It’s an accomplishment that takes dedication I didn’t realize I possessed!”
5. “While breastfeeding may not seem the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby.”
― Amy Spangler, Breastfeeding: A Parent’s Guide, Ninth Edition
6. “The days are long, but the years are short”
– Gretchen Rubin, The Happiness Project
7. “If we wear our nursing covers backwards like capes, then everyone can see we’re breastfeeding superheroes.”
― Cassi Clark, Breastfeeding Is a Bitch: But We Lovingly Do it Anyway
8. “It is the lucky child who still breastfeeds past two years old.”
― Dr. C. Everett Koop, former US Surgeon General and breastfeeding advocate
9. “Never think that pregnancy is just a spare room in a woman’s house; it changes everything- the heat, the light, the furniture.”
― Marni Jackson, The Mother Zone
10. “I don’t believe you need to cover up a baby eating, anymore than you need to cover up a baby drinking a bottle.”
11. “My opinion is that anybody offended by breastfeeding in public is staring too hard.”
― David Allen, Author
12. “…when people say that breast-feeding is ‘free,’ I want to hit them with a two-by-four. It’s only free if a woman’s time is worth nothing.”
― Hanna Rosin, Author, The Case Against Breast-Feeding (The Atlantic)
13. “When a child is starting to be independent, to be able to come back to the mother and hold on, they are processing things when they are nursing. The world is a big place for us, imagine what it is for them.”
― Tandem-feeding actress Kelly Rutherford
14. “Breastfeeding’s worst enemy is separation.”
― Dr. Nils Bergman, specialist in perinatal neuroscience
15. “I Make milk. What is your superpower?”
― Jennifer Ritchie IBCLC, I Make Milk, What is your Superpower?
16. “There are three reasons for breastfeeding: the milk is always at the right temperature, it comes in attractive containers, and the cat can’t get it.”
― Irena Chalmers, culinary author
17. “The reality is that almost all women can breastfeed, have enough milk for their babies and learn how to overcome problems both large and small. It is almost always simply a matter of practical knowledge and not a question of good luck.”
― La Leche League, The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding
18. “A baby nursing at a mother’s breast is an undeniable affirmation of our rootedness in nature.”
― David Suzuki, academic
19. “I gave birth to a baby, not just a digestive system. My baby has a brain that needs to learn trust and a heart that needs love. I will meet all of my baby’s needs, emotional, mental, and physical, and I’ll respond to every cry because crying is communication, not manipulation.”
Enjoy some Sunlight on a Rainy Day
When times are tough in your breastfeeding journey, and all mamas will struggle at some point, I hope these breastfeeding quotes will help you see the light at the end of the tunnel. The days are long but the years are short and one day you will look back at this time and realize it went by very quickly.
As you can see there is an army of advocates past and present that fully support you breastfeeding your child. Therefore you should not feel that weaning is mandatory due to outside pressure. Choosing when and where to wean your child from thee breast is a decision you make for yourself.
If you enjoyed these breastfeeding quotes make sure to pin them to your Pinterest of share them with friends.[frontpage_news widget=”1291″]
You Might Also Enjoy:
Finding the time and motivatio...
Schedules are Perfect When Yo...
You can never be completely p...
If you are considering the Ame...
A personal view of the best 1s...
Working mom exhaustion is real...